The Wilkes Community College Business Office is pleased to offer a variety of services to our students and faculty/staff. Below are Quick Links for answers to frequently asked questions, information of interest to students, information of interest to faculty/staff, and names/job summaries of the personnel in the Business Office.
The Business Office is located on the upper level of Thompson Hall. Our regular hours open to the public are Monday through Thursday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm and Friday, 8:30 am to 3:30 pm. (Business Office summer hours: Monday through Thursday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm and Friday, 8:30 am to 2:30 pm.) Extended hours are offered during registration periods and are posted during early registration each semester.
STUDENTS If you are one of our students, you may need assistance in one of the following areas:
Tuition refunds are made based upon Title 23 of the NC Administrative Code (23 NCAC) guidelines. A refund shall not be made except under the following circumstances.
- A 100 percent refund shall be made if the student officially withdraws prior to the first day of class(es) of the academic semester as noted in the college calendar. Also, a student is eligible for a 100 percent refund if the class in which the student is officially registered fails to "make" due to insufficient enrollment.
- A 75 percent refund shall be made if the student officially withdraws from the class(es) prior to or on the official 10 percent point of the semester.
- For classes beginning at times other than the first week (seven calendar days) of the semester, a 100 percent refund shall be made if the student officially withdraws from the class prior to the first class meeting. A 75 percent refund shall be made if the student officially withdraws from the class prior to the 10 percent point of the class.
The above policy may differ for financial aid recipients. For example, refunds may not be made to students but may be credited to the appropriate financial aid program. For a more detailed explanation, contact the financial aid director.
In all refund cases, students must initiate the withdrawal through the electronic drop form.
Beginning on the semester's first day of classes through the 10% point of the semester (eighth day for fall and spring semesters; fourth day for summer term), students will be charged 25% of the cost of any course dropped. The charge does not apply if a course with equal or more credit hours is added at the same time. For example, if students drop a 3-credit hour course and at a later time add a 3-credit hour course, then the 25% charge will be applied for the course dropped. Therefore, if students need to make changes to their original schedule, they should see their advisor on or before Registration Day to drop a course in order to avoid paying the 25% charge. After the 10% point of the semester, students will be responsible for 100% of the costs of courses on their schedule. For more details, contact the Registrar's Office.
- Collection of Delinquent Accounts
If an account is not collected in the specifications required for the approved payment plan option (for example, a problem with a payment plan exists, financial aid is cancelled or a sponsorship declines payment for any reason), the account is the student's responsibility and becomes delinquent on the last day of the academic semester for which the charges are incurred. Attempts are made during the semester for collection; however, if collection is not successful, accounts are submitted for collection through the NC Department of Revenue and collection agencies, as necessary until collection is successful. Students may not register, receive transcripts, or graduate until outstanding debts are paid. Interest and penalties may be incurred on delinquent accounts submitted for collection. The college prefers for students to make arrangements with the Business Office for payment of accounts prior to submission for collection of other means. For more information on collection of outstanding accounts, please contact Amy Killian (firstname.lastname@example.org) at (336) 838-6108, or to process an online payment plan for a delinquent account, go to https://www.nbspayments.com/signin/4K0JP.
If you are part of our faculty/staff, you may need assistance in one of the following areas:
- College Vehicles - To reserve a college vehicle, reservations must be made through Kim Tuck. Contact Kim by e-mail at email@example.com.
- Key Check-Out - To ask questions regarding a key to a classroom or building, you need to contact Dena Wiles at (336) 838-6101 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Note that requests for key check-out must be made through the departmental chairperson and/or director.
- Budget/Account Financial Information - Budgets are now available for employees to view through Webadvisor. Accounts are set up through areas of responsibility. To view instructions on how to view budgets through Webadvisor please click here. For questions regarding budget retrieval and financial information, please contact Crystal Huffman at (336) 838-6109 or by e-mail at email@example.com
- Accounts Payable/Check Disbursements - If you have questions regarding a payment from a college account, please contact Hope Roberson at (336) 838-6104 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Travel Reimbursement - If you have questions regarding travel forms and/or travel reimbursement, please contact Amy Killian at (336) 838-6108 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
- Purchasing - Wilkes Community College is required to follow policies and procedures set forth by NC Purchase and Contract. Wilkes Community College has compiled a manual which includes the state mandated policies/procedures as well as local policies set forth by the college. To view the WCC Purchasing Manual please click here. Wilkes Community College also participates in the Procurement Card (P-Card) program for state agencies. Policies are required for employees to be able to participate in the P-Card program. To view the Procurement Card (P-Card) Manual please click here. For questions regarding purchasing, please contact Kim Barfield at (336) 838-6419 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
WHO IS THE BUSINESS OFFICE STAFF?